I was setting the fill_value as 'NA' when constructing the array so
the masked values would be printed as 'NA'. It is not a big deal to
avoid doing this.

Nevertheless, the differences between a masked array with a boolean
mask and a mask of booleans have caused me trouble before. Especially
when there are hidden in-place conversions of a mask which is a array
of False to a mask which is False. e.g.

import numpy
print numpy.version.version

ma1 = numpy.ma.array(((1.,2,3),(4,5,6)), mask=((0,0,0),(0,0,0)))
print ma1.mask
a1 = numpy.asarray(ma1)
print ma1.mask

0.9.9.2538