Dan Goodman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think this is a bug (I'm running Numpy 1.0.3.1):

> True
>
> I guess the all function doesn't know about generators?

Yup. It works on arrays and things it can turn into arrays by calling the C API
equivalent of numpy.asarray(). There's a ton of magic and special cases in
asarray() in order to interpret nested Python sequences as arrays. That magic
works fairly well when we have sequences with known lengths; it fails utterly
when given an arbitrary iterator of unknown length. So we punt. Unfortunately,
what happens then is that asarray() sees an object that it can't interpret as a
sequence to turn into a real array, so it makes a rank-0 array with the
iterator
object as the value. This evaluates to True.

It's possible that asarray() should raise an exception for generators, but it
would be a special case. We wouldn't be able to test for arbitrary iterables.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco