Pierre GM wrote:
> On May 13, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Matt Knox wrote:
>>> Here's the catch: it's basically cheating. I got rid of the pre-
>>> processing (where a mask was calculated depending on the domain and
>>> the input set to a filling value depending on this mask, before the
>>> actual computation). Instead, I  force
>>> np.seterr(divide='ignore',invalid='ignore') before calling the ufunc
>> This isn't a thread safe approach and could cause wierd side effects
>> in a
>> multi-threaded application. I think modifying global options/
>> variables inside
>> any function where it generally wouldn't be expected by the user is
>> a bad idea.
>
> Whine. I was afraid of something like that...
> 2 options, then:
> * We revert to computing a mask beforehand. That looks like the part
> that takes the most time w/ domained operations (according to Robert
> K's profiler. Robert, you deserve a statue for this tool). And that
> doesn't solve the pb of power, anyway: how do you compute the domain
> of power ?
> * We reimplement masked versions of the ufuncs in C. Won't happen from
> me anytime soon (this fall or winter, maybe...)

Pierre,

I have implemented masked versions of all binary ufuncs in C, using
slight modifications of the numpy code generation machinery.  I suspect
that the way I have done it will not be the final method, and as of this
moment I have just gotten it compiled and minimally checked (numpy
imports, multiply_m(x, y, mask, out) puts x*y in out only where mask is
False), but it is enough to make me think that we should be able to make
it work in numpy.ma.

In the present implementation, the masked versions of the ufuncs take a
single mask, and they live in the same namespace as the unmasked
versions.  Masked versions of the unary ufuncs need to be added.  Binary
versions taking two masks and returning the resulting mask can also be
added, but with considerably more effort, so I view that as something to
be done only after all the wrinkles are worked out with the single-mask
implementation.

I view these masked versions of ufuncs as perfectly good standalone
entities, which will enable a huge speedup in numpy.ma, but which may
also be useful independently of masked arrays.

I have made no attempt at this point to address domain checking, but
certainly this needs to be moved into the C stage also, with separate
ufuncs while we have only the single-mask binary ufuncs, but directly
into the double-mask binary ufuncs whenever those are implemented.

Example:

In [1]:import numpy as np

In [2]:x = np.arange(3)

In [3]:y = np.arange(3) + 2

In [4]:x
Out[4]:array([0, 1, 2])

In [5]:y
Out[5]:array([2, 3, 4])

In [6]:mask = np.array([False, True, False])

In [7]:np.multiply_m(x, y, mask, x)
Out[7]:array([0, 1, 8])

In [8]:x = np.arange(1000000, dtype=float)

In [9]:y = np.sin(x)

In [10]:mask = y > 0

In [11]:z = np.zeros_like(x)

In [12]:timeit np.multiply(x,y,z)
100 loops, best of 3: 10.5 ms per loop

In [13]:timeit np.multiply_m(x,y,mask,z)
100 loops, best of 3: 12 ms per loop

Eric