Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:48:07 +0200, Pierre GM wrote:
[clip]
> Till I'm at it, would there be anybody patient to hold my hand and tell
> me how to backport changes from one branch to another?

I do it like this:

        # create a local branch for integrating backports
        # needs to be done only once -- just reuse it afterwards
        git branch upstream/maintenance/1.5.x maintenance/1.5.x

After that, things go like this

        # switch to the local backport integration branch
        git checkout maintenance/1.5.x

        # ensure it's up-to-date vs upstream
        git pull --rebase

        # figure out what patches to get
        git log upstream/master

        # shameless plug: github.com/pv/git-cherry-tree
        git cherry-tree upstream/master

        # cherry pick patches
        git cherry-pick -x ad390f0fa

        # test, just to be sure

        # push the local branch upstream
        git push upstream maintenance/1.5.x

> There are just
> some minor changes in the current master/numpy/ma/core.py that could go
> to maintenance/1.5.x/numpy/ma/core.py. Corollary: how do I branch from a
> branch?

        git branch old_branch new_branch

--
Pauli Virtanen