Christopher Barker wrote:
> On 10/14/10 9:46 AM, Frank Thommen wrote:
>> We are speaking of potentially several hundred files.  It's part of the
>> scientific work of the user of the last nine years...
>
> Let's hope he's got some tests!

Yes, we can compare the outputs with the existing results of the "old"
version.

>> Which conversion script do you mean?  I couldn't find any conversion
>> script that works or comes close to working.
>
> I don't know anything you don't know -- I thought you got a script to
> work, it just didn't do the full job -- it may well have done some of
> the simple scut work, though.

The script I mentioned was the conversion script which is distributed
with numpy (alter_code1.py).  But this script doesn't seem to be
maintained any more.

> Anyway, hundreds of files sounds like a lot, but while it's boring work,
> it's probably less than you'd think once you get started. You'd want a
> multiple-file search and replace tool, though.

I've tried with some sample scripts.  Simply replacing "Numeric" by
"numpy" leads to other errors (wrong attributes etc.).  However since I
don't have the resources to do this for the user, I've now installed the
historical Numeric 24.2 and the user is warned, not to use Numeric for
any new script and that Numeric will be removed in the future.  That
should give him enough time to go through his old scripts and change them.

frank