On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM, T J <tjhn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what do people expect out of ignored values?  It seems that we might need
> to extend the list you put forward so that it includes these desires. Since
> my primary use is with MISSING and not so much IGNORED, I'm not in a very
> good position to help extend that list.  I'd be curious to know if this
> present suggestion would work with how matplotlib uses masked arrays.

I'm in a similar position -- I don't have any use cases for IGNORED
myself right now, so I'm just trying to guess from what I've seen
people say.

Just having where= around makes it at least possible, if cumbersome,
to handle one of the big problems -- working with subsets of large
datasets without having to make a copy. It's possible we should leave
IGNORED support alone until people have more experience with where=,
and can say what kind of convenience features would be useful. Or
maybe we can get some experts to speak up... perhaps this will help:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.matplotlib.devel/10740

-- Nathaniel