Hi Pierre,

I confirmed with the guy who put together the machine that it is non-ECC
RAM.  You know, now that i think about it, this machine seems to crash a
fair amount more often than its identical twin which sits on a desk near me.
I researched memtest a bit... downloaded and compiled it, but I do not quite
understand the finer points of using it... it seems that I want to remove my
RAM cards and test them one at a time.  Do you know a good reference for
using it.

I think at this point the best thing to do will be to dump my data/code to
portable HDD and load it on the other computer with same specs as this one.
If it runs without generating any NaN then I will proceed to a full memtest.

Thanks for the advice.
-Karl