On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> make numpy more attractive for a certain set of applications, like
>> statistical analysis, where R is currently preferred. Instead, there
>> have been massive changes merged into numpy mainline, but most of the
>> intended "target market" for these changes is indifferent to them;
>> they don't solve the problem they're supposed to. And along the way
>> we've not just spent a bunch of Enthought's money, but also wasted
>> dozens of hours of volunteer time while seriously alienating some of
>> numpy's most dedicated advocates in that "target market". We could
>> debate about blame, and I'm sure there's plenty to spread around, but
>> I also think the fundamental problem isn't one of blame at all -- it's
>> that Mark, Charles and Travis *aren't* scratching an itch; AFAICT the
>> NA functionality is not something they actually need themselves. Which
>> means they're fighting uphill when trying to find the best solutions,
>> and haven't managed it yet. And were working on a deadline, to boot.
>>
>> > It's obvious that one should try for consensus as long as possible,
>> > including listening to users. But in the very end, when agreement can't
>> > be reached by other means, the developers are the one making the calls.
>> > (This is simply a consequence that they are the only ones who can
>> > credibly threaten to fork the project.)
>> >
>> > Sure, structures that includes users in the process could be useful...
>> > but, if the devs are fine with the current situation (and I don't see
>> > Mark or Charles complaining), then I honestly think it is quite rude to
>> > not let the matter drop after the first ten posts or so.
>>
>> I'm not convinced we need a formal governing body, but I think we
>> really, really need a community norm that takes consensus *very*
>> seriously. That principle is more important than who exactly enforces
>> it. I guess people are worried about that turning into obstructionism
>> or something, but seriously, this is a practical approach that works
>> well for lots of real actual successful FOSS projects.
>>
>> I think it's also worth distinguishing between "users" and "developers
>> who happen not to be numpy core developers". There are lots of
>> experienced and skilled developers who spend their time on, say, scipy
>> or nipy or whatever, just because numpy already works for them. That
>> doesn't mean they don't have valuable insights or a stake in how numpy
>> develops going forward!
>>
>> IMHO, everyone who can credibly participate in the technical
>> discussion should have a veto -- and should almost never use it. And
>> yes, that means volunteers should be able to screw up corporate
>> schedules if that's what's best for numpy-the-project. And, to be
>> clear, I'm not saying that random list-members somehow *deserve* to
>> screw around with generous corporate endowments; I'm saying that the
>> people running the corporation are going to be a lot happier in the
>> long run if they impose this rule on themselves.
>>

> I'm more for the Linux model, Linus rules, the rest grovel ;)

I would feel a lot more comfortable with a BDFL that has code coverage
and ABI consistency high on his priority, and not just getting the
greatest new features in as fast as possible.

numpy is quite a bit more in use now than xx years ago.

Josef
someone who learned numpy and scipy by working through bugs.