Hi Ben,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012, John Hunter wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Alan G Isaac <alan.is...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I disagree.
>>> Failure to reach consensus does not imply lack of striving.
>>>

>> Hey Alan, thanks for your thoughtful and nuanced views.  I agree  with
>> everything you've said, but have a few additional points.
>>
>> At the risk of wading into a thread that has grown far too long, and
>> echoing Eric's comments that the idea of governance is murky at best
>> when there is no provision for enforceability, I have a few comments.
>> Full disclosure: Travis has asked me and I have agreed to to serve on
>> a board for "numfocus", the not-for-profit arm of his efforts to
>> promote numpy and related tools.  Although I have no special numpy
>> developer chops, as the original author of matplotlib, which is one of
>> the leading "numpy clients", he asked me to join his organization as a
>> "community representative".  I support his efforts, and so agreed to
>> join the numfocus board.
>>
>> My first and most important point is that the subtext of many postings
>> here
>> about the fear of undue and inappropriate influence of Continuum under
>> Travis' leadership is far overblown.  Travis created numpy -- it is
>> his baby.  Undeniably, he created it by standing on the shoulders of
>> giants: Jim Hugunin, Paul Dubois, Perry Greenfield and his team, and
>> many others.  But the idea that we need to guard against the
>> possibility that his corporate interests will compromise his interests
>> in "what is best for numpy" is academic at best.
>>
>> As someone who has created a significant project in the realm of
>> "scientific computing in Python", I can tell you that it is something
>> I take quite a bit of pride in and it is very important to me that the
>> project thrives as it was intended to: as a free, open-source,
>> best-practice way of doing science.  I know Travis well enough to know
>> he feels the same way -- numpy doing well is *at least* important to
>> him his company doing well.  All of his recent actions to start a
>> company and foundation which focuses resources on numpy and related
>> tools reinforce that view.  If he had a different temperament, he
>> wouldn't have devoted five to ten years of is life to Numeric, scipy
>> and numpy.  He is a BDFL for a reason: he has earned our trust.
>>
>> And he has proven his ability to lead when *almost everyone* was
>> against him.  At the height of the Numeric/numarray split, and I was
>> deeply involved in this as the mpl author because we had a "numerix"
>> compatibility layer to allow users to use one or the other, Travis
>> proposed writing numpy to solve both camp's problems.  I really can't
>> remember a single individual who supported him.  What I remember is
>> the cacophony of voices who though this was a bad idea, because of the
>> "third fork" problem.  But Travis forged ahead, on his own, wrote
> [...]

Actually this is more to thank you for the tone of your email than
anything else.   I know we've disagreed from time to time, but I do
appreciate your constant and kind attempts to bring people together.

I think there's no controversy about Travis being BDF$N$ and yes, I
agree, to specify that is a step forward.

Best,

Matthew