Le 17 févr. 2012 17:58, "Mark Wiebe" <mwwi...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I'm in favor of this myself, C++ would allow a lot code cleanup and
make it
>> > easier to provide an extensible base, I think it would be a natural
fit with
>> > numpy. Of course, some C++ projects become tangled messes of
inheritance,
>> > but I'd be very interested in seeing what a good C++ designer like
Mark,
>> > intimately familiar with the numpy code base, could do. This
opportunity
>> > might not come by again anytime soon and I think we should grab onto
it. The
>> > initial step would be a release whose code that would compile in both
C/C++,
>> > which mostly comes down to removing C++ keywords like 'new'.
>>
>> C++ will make integration with external environments much harder
>> (calling a C++ library from a non C++ program is very hard, especially
>> for cross-platform projects), and I am not convinced by the more
>> extensible argument.
>

> The whole of NumPy could be written utilizing C++ extensively while still
using exactly the same API and ABI numpy has now. C++ does not force
anything about API/ABI design decisions.

> One good document to read about how a major open source project
transitioned from C to C++ is about gcc. Their points comparing C and C++
apply to numpy quite well, and being compiler authors, they're intimately
familiar with ABI and performance issues:

> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/gcc-in-cxx#The_gcc-in-cxx_branch
>
>> Making the numpy C code buildable by a C++ compiler is harder than
>> removing keywords.
>

> Certainly, but it's not a difficult task for someone who's familiar with
both C and C++.

>> > I did suggest running it by you for build issues, so please raise any
you
>> > can think of. Note that MatPlotLib is in C++, so I don't think the
problems
>> > are insurmountable. And choosing a set of compilers to support is
something
>> > that will need to be done.
>>
>> I don't know for matplotlib, but for scipy, quite a few issues were
>> caused by our C++ extensions in scipy.sparse. But build issues are a
>> not a strong argument against C++ - I am sure those could be worked
>> out.
>

> On this topic, I'd like to ask what it would take to change the default
warning levels in all the build configurations? Building with no warnings
under high warning levels is a pretty standard practice as a basic
mechanisms for catching some classes of bugs, and it would be nice for
numpy to do this. The only way this is reasonable, though, is if it's the
default in the build system.

Doing it for say just gcc is not that complicated. Generally, easy
custimization of cimpilation flags is one of the stated goal of bento :)

david