On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 19:55, Paul Anton Letnes
<paul.anton.let...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20. feb. 2012, at 16:29, Sturla Molden wrote:

>>> - in newer standards it has some nontrivial mathematical functions: gamma,
>>> bessel, etc. that numpy lacks right now
>>
>> That belongs to SciPy.
>
> I don't see exactly why. Why should numpy have exponential but not gamma
> functions? The division seems kinda arbitrary. Not that I am arguing
> violently for bessel functions in numpy.

The semi-arbitrary dividing line that we have settled on is C99. If a
special function is in the C99 standard, we'll accept an
implementation for it in numpy. Part (well, most) of the rationale is
just to have a clear dividing line even if it's fairly arbitrary. The
other part is that if a decidedly non-mathematically-focused standard
like C99 includes a special function in its standard library, then
odds are good that it's something that is widely used enough as a
building block for other things.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."