On 20 Mar 2012, at 14:40, Chao YUE wrote:

> I would be in agree. thanks!
> I use gawk to separate the file into many files by year, then it would be
> easier to handle.
> anyway, it's not a good practice to produce such huge line txt files....

Indeed it's not, but it's also not good practice to load the entire content
of text files as python lists into memory, as unfortunately all the numpy
readers are still doing. But this has been discussed on this list and
improvements are under way.
For your problem at hand the textreader Warren Weckesser recently
made known - can't find the post right now, but you can find it at

https://github.com/WarrenWeckesser/textreader

might be helpful. It is still under construction, but for a plain csv file such
as yours it should be working already. And since the text parsing is
implemented in C, it should also give you a huge speedup for your 1/2 GB!

For additional profiling, similar to what David suggested, it would certainly
be a good idea to read in smaller chunks of the file and write it directly to
the netCDF file. Note that you can already read single lines at a time with the
likes of

from StringIO import StringIO
f = open('file.txt'. 'r')
np.genfromtxt(StringIO(f.next()), delimiter=',')

but I don't think it would work this way with textreader, and iterating such a
small
loop over lines in Python would beat the point of using a fast reader.
As your actual data would be < 1GB in numpy, memory usage with textreader
should also not be critical yet.

Cheers,
                                Derek