On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Francesc Alted <franc...@continuum.io> wrote:
> On 5/2/12 4:07 PM, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> Well, as the OP said, coo_matrix does not support dimensions larger than
> 2, right?

That's just an implementation detail, I would imagine--I'm trying to
figure out if there is a new principle behind "synthetic dimensions"?
By the way, David Cournapeau mentioned using b-trees for sparse ops a
while ago; did you ever talk to him about those ideas?

BTW, this coo-type storage is used in Stanford's probabilistic
graphical models course, but for dense data (like we have in the
course) it's a pain.  Writing code in both Octave and Python, I again
came to realize what a very elegant N-dimensional structure the numpy
array exposes!

Stéfan