I won't go in the discussion of which RNG is better for some problems.
I'll just tell why we pick this one.

We needed a parallel RNG and we wanted to use the same RNG on CPU and
on GPU. We discussed with a professor in our department that is well
know in that field(Pierre L'Ecuyer) and he recommanded this one for
our problem. For the GPU, we don't want an rng that have too much
register too.

Robert K. commented that this would need refactoring of numpy.random
and then it would be easy to have many rng.

Fred