Apparently it is not well known that if you have a Python project
source tree (e.g., a numpy checkout), then the correct way to install
it is NOT to type

   python setup.py install   # bad and broken!

but rather to type

   pip install .

Though I haven't studied it exhaustively, it always seems to me that
pip is bad & broken, whereas python setup.py install does what I
expect (even if it's a mess internally). In particular, when
maintaining a distribution of Python packages, you try to have some
well-defined, reproducible build from source tarballs and then you
find that pip is going off and downloading stuff under the radar
without being asked (etc.). Stopping that can be a pain & I always
groan whenever some package insists on using pip. Maybe I don't
understand it well enough but in this role its dependency handling
is an unnecessary complication with no purpose. Just a comment that
not every installation is someone trying to get numpy on their
laptop...

Cheers,

James.