just to not prevent it from the black hole - what about integrating
fromiter into array? (see the post by Benjamin Root)

for me personally, taking the first element for deducing the dtype would be
a perfect default way to read generators. If one wants a specific other
dtype, one could specify it like in the current fromiter method.