I've used as_strided before to create an "endless" output array when I
didn't care about the result of an operation, just the side effect. See eg
here
<https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/blob/master/skimage/future/graph/rag.py#L146>.
So I would certainly like option to remain to get a writeable array. In
general, I'm sceptical about whether the benefits outweigh the costs.