On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gomm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:03 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe we should upload to pypi? This allows us to upload binaries for osx
>>> at least, and in general will make the beta available to anyone who does
>>> 'pip install --pre numpy'. (But not regular 'pip install numpy', because pip
>>> is clever enough to recognize that this is a prerelease and should not be
>>> used by default.)
>>>
>>> (For bonus points, start a campaign to convince everyone to add --pre to
>>> their ci setups, so that merely uploading a prerelease will ensure that it
>>> starts getting tested automatically.)

>> So what happens if I use twine to upload a beta? Mind, I'd give it a try
>> if pypi weren't an irreversible machine of doom.
>

> One of the things that will probably happen but needs to be avoided is that
> 1.11b2 becomes the visible release at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/numpy. By
> default I think the status of all releases but the last uploaded one (or
> highest version number?) is set to hidden.

Huh, I had the impression that if it was ambiguous whether the "latest
version" was a pre-release or not, then pypi would list all of them on
that page -- at least I know I've seen projects where going to the
main pypi URL gives a list of several versions like that. Or maybe the
next-to-latest one gets hidden by default and you're supposed to go
back and "un-hide" the last release manually.

Could try uploading to

  https://testpypi.python.org/pypi

and see what happens...

> Other ways that users can get a pre-release by accident are:
> - they have pip <1.4 (released in July 2013)

It looks like ~a year ago this was ~20% of users --
https://caremad.io/2015/04/a-year-of-pypi-downloads/
I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped quite a bit since then, but if
this is something that will affect our decision then we can ping
@dstufft to ask for updated numbers.

-n