On 4/8/2016 4:28 PM, Ian Henriksen wrote:
The biggest things to me are having a broadcasting 2D transpose and having some
form of transpose that doesn't silently pass 1D arrays through unchanged.

This comment, like much of this thread, seems to long
for the matrix class but not want to actually use it.

It seems pretty simple to me: if you want everything
forced to 2d, always use the matrix class.  If you want
to use arrays, they work nicely now, and they work
as expected once you understand what you are
working with.  (I.e., *not* matrices.)

Btw, numpy.outer(a, b) produces an outer product.
This may be off topic, but it seemed to me that
some of the discussion overlooks this.

I suggest that anyone who thinks numpy is falling
short in this area point out how Mma has addressed
this shortcoming.  Wolfram will never be accused
of a reluctance to add functions when there is a
perceived need ...

Cheers,
Alan Isaac