On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 8:33 AM, Marten van Kerkwijk <
m.h.vankerkw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It seems there are two steps that can be taken now and are needed no
> matter what:
>
> 1. Add numpy documentation describing the preferred way to handle
> matrices, extolling the virtues of @, and move np.matrix documentation
> to a deprecated section

That would be good to do asap. Any volunteers?

> 2. Start on a new `sparse` class that is based on regular arrays

There are two efforts that I know of in this direction:
https://github.com/perimosocordiae/sparray
https://github.com/ev-br/sparr

(and
> uses `__array_func__` instead of prepare/wrap?).

Getting __array_func__ finally into a released version of numpy will be a
major improvement for sparse matrix behavior (like making
np.dot(some_matrix) work) in itself.

Ralf