I applied the aforementioned patch to 2.4.3 and recompiled. Since the patch only affects newmge-shut and usbhid-ups I just copied the latter into /lib/nut/ This works, insomuchas all the nut programs start up and run. However, there are 3 remaining problems:

1) syslog errors every 20+ minutes or so like : Aug 7 10:21:03 ben usbhid-ups[3321]: libusb_get_string: error sending control message: Broken pipe 2) syslog errors on a similar timescale like : Aug 7 08:17:40 ben kernel: [40170.402789] usb 2-1.2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 8 ret -110

3) The machine spontaneously shutdown this morning due to a "low battery" condition. However, 80 minutes later when I noticed the UPS battery was at 100%. I don't think it can charge that fast, so I think this must have been a communication error.

I've now tried two versions of NUT, a patch, and both serial and usb communications. Only one mode (2.2.2 usb) works in any meaningful sense, but even that suffered from minute+ periods of stale data in the few days I ran it. I wanted to use NUT so I could hang possible future machines off one big ups, but for the present I give up.

Hopefully the portmon log I posted will help. I note that both Thomas and I are running Debian Lenny and using recently purchased Cyberpower UPSs.