On Jun 15, 2011, at 5:40 PM, n...@johnea.net wrote:

On 06/15/2011 02:24 PM, n...@johnea.net wrote:

-> Does this seems to indicate the conflict of drivers you mentioned?

usbtree data that may indicate driver conflict is the issue:

I think Arnaud was referring to the case where two instances of NUT have been installed, and both user-space drivers are trying to re-open the device. The "usbhid" driver mentioned below is a kernel driver, and unless there is a regression in the kernel driver detach code, that shouldn't be an issue.

The output of usbtree when the device is disconnecting:
/: Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Drv=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
   |_ Port 1: Dev 26, If 0, Prod=CP425HG, Class=HID, Drv=usbhid, 1.5M

The output of usbtree once usbhid-ups has succesfully connected:
/: Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Drv=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
   |_ Port 1: Dev 27, If 0, Prod=CP425HG, Class=HID, Drv=usbfs, 1.5M

Is there a udev rule that can block the usbhid driver from connecting to the device?

There is a blacklist in the kernel, but I don't think this is the issue here. The UPS shouldn't be completely disconnecting, even if two drivers are fighting over it. (If that's the case, you just get a volley of EBUSY errors between the two drivers.)

Double-check the cabling, because disconnect messages such as the following are reported to the kernel by the USB host controller chip:

Jun 8 18:07:28 sensor003 kernel: [ 411.500020] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 19

Is it consistently disconnecting every 20 seconds? That almost sounds like some proprietary extension to the HID protocol - the UPS expects the computer to send something that only the CyberPower software knows to send.