On Jul 26, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Leith Bade <le...@leithalweapon.geek.nz> wrote:

> First the beeper is annoying and loud and I worry it will wake everyone up at
> night. I read that you can mute the beeper temporarily (and this works) but
> that most UPSs do not allow you to permanently turn it off (I tried using
> upsrw but it said beeper.status was read only).

Can you send the variable list of upsrw and the command list of upsc for
reference? I don't have any information on the 5E.

I think there should be "beeper.mute" and "beeper.off" commands.

> So is there a way to auto-mute the beeper? e.g on system boot or on power
> failure?

That is an interesting point - we have scripting for power failures, but not
for startup.

> Next I did some testing and I think I have a power race (is that the right
> term?). Basically if I switch off the AC, wait for battery to drain and the
> system to shutdown and turn off (the PC only so far). If I then turn the AC
> back on before the ~20 sec delay before the UPS turns off and on again the
> computer never boots automatically (I have set BIOS to power on after AC
> back).
>
> If I let the UPS turn off before I turn AC back on the computer will boot
> automatically.
>
> I think the problem is that either the UPS is now power cycling the load when
> AC is on and it reboots, or it is not turning it off for long enough for the
> PSU/computer to register this as a AC off and on event.

It's probably the latter, but if you don't hear the relay in the first case,
that's a problem.

> When the UPS reboots it beeps and I can hear a relay click so it must do
> something when it reboots with power on.
>
> How can I add a delay between UPS power off, and power on?

The output of upsrw will confirm this, but many HID UPSes have separate timers
for delay before shutdown, and delay before turn-on (ups.delay.start).

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@gmail