Greetings Charles;

I hope you had a nice Christmas, and will have a happy and prosperous new
year in 2016.

You mentioned upsrw in a message earlier, so I ran it, and found the
shutdown timeout was only 20 seconds.

gene@coyote:~$ upsrw myups
[input.transfer.high]
High voltage transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Value: 140

[input.transfer.low]
Low voltage transfer point (V)
Type: STRING
Value: 88

[ups.delay.shutdown]
Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command (seconds)
Type: STRING
Value: 20

[ups.delay.start]
Interval to wait before (re)starting the load (seconds)
Type: STRING
Value: 30

That 20 seconds is insufficient to allow a gracefull shutdown on this
system as it seems to need 40 or more seconds to begin a reboot by
entering the BIOS post routine.

So I tried to reset that to 120 seconds, which the battery can do nicely,
and I have a 20kw in the back yard that is up and running, lights back
on in 16 or 17 seconds, so is 98% moot, but found I cannot, even as
root, adjust this.

gene@coyote:~$ upsrw -s ups.delay.shutdown=120 myups
Username (gene): gene
Password: my user pw here
Unexpected response from upsd: ERR ACCESS-DENIED

Nut was never given a pw on this system. I, and ups however are members
of group nut, and that has always seemed sufficient until now.

Obviously I don't have something adequately configured, the question of
course is what?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)