Chris Mattmann wrote:
 Sorry to be so thick-headed, but could someone explain to me in really
simple language what this change is requesting that is different from the
current Nutch API? I still don't get it, sorry...

A Content would no longer generate a single Parse. Instead, a Content could potentially generate many Parses. For most types of content, e.g., HTML, each Content would still generate a single Parse. But for RSS, a Content might generate multiple Parses, each indexed separately and each with a distinct URL.

Another potential application could be processing archives: the parser could unpack the archive and each item in it indexed separately rather than indexing the archive as a whole. This only makes sense if each item has a distinct URL, which it does in RSS, but it might not in an archive. However some archive file formats do contain URLs, like that used by the Internet Archive.

http://www.archive.org/web/researcher/ArcFileFormat.php

Does that help?

Doug