Hi,

I know most distros ship with such a syslog setup by default but honestly
I think such a setup is a joke in 2013.
E.g.:
> # Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
> uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
News errors?? Maybe 20 years ago this was of some use, or I'm missing
something.

On the other hand nxlog can be used to replace the default syslog and can
be even configured to have the exact same file destination.
The im_kernel and the im_uds modules are there to read the logs, it's
just a matter of setting up the filtering rules and store the log in
files.

Here is a simple config that you can use as a start (or as is):

<Input syslog>
        Module  im_uds
        Uds     /var/run/nxlog/devlog
        Exec    parse_syslog_bsd();
        FlowControl FALSE
</Input>

<Input internal>
        Module  im_internal
</Input>

<Input kernel>
        Module  im_kernel
        Exec    parse_syslog_bsd();
</Input>

<Output localfile>
        Module  om_file
        File    '/var/log/nxlog/syslog'
        OutputType      LineBased
        Truncate        FALSE
        Exec    if $raw_event =~ s/(\s+)$// {}
        <Schedule>
        Every   1 hour
        Exec    if (file_exists("/var/log/nxlog/syslog") and
(file_size("/var/log/nxlog/syslog") >= 5M)) { file_cycle("/var/log/nxlog/syslo
g", 8); reopen(); }
</Schedule>
</Output>

<Route 66>
    Path        syslog, internal, kernel => sslout, localfile
</Route>

Regards,
Botond