8/25/09 Potsdam (St. Lawrence Co.) (Various times between midnight and 2
a.m.)

I don't get much sleep this time of year with migration under way.  Last
night, (clear), I counted 10 to 11 calls per minute (more thrush calls mixed
in last night).  Also, bats were swooping around me - great to see them.
Coyote packs howled on and off.  Migration seems consistent, but no big
flight-nights encountered. yet.

8/24/09 Winthrop (northern St. Lawrence Co.) (7:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.)

Last night, Mary Beth Warburton and I made another trip to the Great Egret
roost in Winthrop.  As we were watching these magnificent birds whirl into
the roost, a passing car stopped.  The woman in the car told us, "Those big
white birds are becoming a problem."  We politely asked her what she meant,
and she replied, "They are eating up all the frogs and fish and it has
become a huge problem!"  We attempted to reason with her, but it was
useless.  It is certainly a scary world out there.  Other than that
incident, we had yet another spectacular night at this wonderful birding
location.  Here are some of the species found (nice scope views of many):

Wood Duck - many

Least Bittern - 1

Great Blue Heron - several; as we headed back to the car in the dark, we
spotted a Great Blue Heron a short distance from us as it nabbed a
good-sized fish (good thing the car lady missed that one!).  The bird took
off and we watched the silhouette of the bird with the large fish in its
bill fly across the wetland - beautiful.

Great Egret - 145!  We had a count of 144, and as we began to head back to
the car, one lone bird arrived at the roost very late!

Green Heron - 3

Black-crowned Night-Heron - at least 8;  We were able to see 8 birds at
once, but there was another group of 6 out of sight that were probably
additional birds.

Virginia Rail - vocalizing in the same location where we've heard it before
(in the wet area where Rt. 420 and Dullea Rd. intersect)

As we reached the car, three bats were swooping over us as they foraged -
such a rare sighting the past couple of years.  There were silhouettes of
swallows high in the sky over the wetland - not as many as we've seen on
prior visits, but still a good number.

Potsdam:  I counted about 5 migrants per minute going overhead (midnight to
1 a.m.).  Coyotes howled and I saw several meteors.

On a short morning walk with our dogs, I found the following species:

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Alder Flycatcher

Gray Catbird

Brown Thrasher

Warblers: Black-throated Green, Black-and-white, and Common Yellowthroat

Scarlet Tanager

Baltimore Oriole

8/23/09 Potsdam

I counted as many as 13 migrant calls per minute (12:30 to 1:30 a.m.).  A
Great-crested Flycatcher vocalizing outside the window woke me in the
morning.  In addition, an Eastern Wood-Pewee, Bobolink, and Baltimore Oriole
vocalized.

8/22/09 Potsdam

I counted between 5 and 9 migrant calls per minute between 12:30 and 1:30
a.m.  A Barred Owl called out, and I called back - we went back and forth
for a long time!

8/19/09 Potsdam

On a morning walk with the dogs, I found many species including a calling
Golden-winged Warbler (I really enjoy this wild vocalization) and a male
Baltimore Oriole.

Joan Collins

Potsdam & Long Lake