Hook Mountain 25 September

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) arrived at 10:30 AM and stayed till 1:00 PM. The
clear, bright, sunny sky contained a few clouds. There was a slow but
continuous stream of raptors, mostly fairly high up. The mix was good while we
were there including Osprey, adult Bald Eagle, Sharp-shinned and Cooper's
Hawks, Red-shoulder, Broad-winged and Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrel.
Two Broad-wing kettles, together totaling a dozen birds were extremely high.
However, a couple of single birds flew by at lower altitude for excellent looks.

Both Black and Turkey Vultures circled the watch and a Raven came by chased by
crows. We speculated that some of the Red-tails might also be local based on
their flight pattern.

Land birds were particularly sparse walking up, but we did see a single
Yellow-rumped Warbler at the top (our first for the fall). Another unexpected
migrant was a Snow Goose in a flock of high flying Canada Geese.

Sy