I headed down to Dunkirk Harbor in Chautauqua Co. this afternoon  and the
highlight alone was the sheer number of large  gulls.  I counted 1345 Great
Black-backed Gulls between the  inner harbor and the area just outside near
Pt. Gratiot--this is apparently  the 2nd highest inland maxima in the state
with the high  being 2500 at the Moses-Saunders Dam along the St.  Lawrence
River on 21 November 1989.  There were at least twice as  many Herring Gulls
present along with 300 Ring-bills, 3 GLAUCOUS (1st,  2nd, and 3rd-basic), a
nice 2nd-basic NELSON'S (Herring x Glaucous), and  what appeared to be a
backcross-type ad. HERRING x L. BLACK-BACKED GULL  (Herring-like, but showing
apparent LBB Gull influence). About 80% of  the GBB Gulls were resting on ice
inside the harbor, while the rest  (plus most of the Herring Gulls) were
feeding/resting at the beach  on the west side of the NRG power plant viewable
from Point Drive N.   At first I wasn't sure what was attracting all the
gulls to the  heavily iced-in area at the north end of the beach, and upon
walking  closer I found hundreds of gulls piled into two  ice-free ditches that
were filled with loads of dead fish. Even more  amazing was that as I
walked closer, they were so heavily involved in  feeding, calling, and
displaying
that they didn't even notice my presence until  I was nearly 15 yards away
from the closest birds! I settled down into a spot  and eventually more just
started piling in--it was definitely the closest  experience I've had in
WNY to "Canadian dump gulling."  Photos will  eventually be posted here:
_http://picasaweb.google.com/jmpawli88_ (http://picasaweb.google.com/jmpawli88)

On another note, the long-staying American Avocet was not present at the
warm-water outflow near the west end of the harbor, and optimistically
speaking  it moved on to better environs.

A few other highlights included:

40+ Double-crested Cormorants
5 Great Blue Herons
2 Ruddy Ducks
2 Ring-necked Ducks
Lesser Scaup
Redhead
Canvasback
4 Pied-billed Grebes
Song Sparrow on the mud at the warm-water outflow

Jim Pawlicki
Amherst, NY