There are at least two Mew Gulls on the Niagara River. One is the
North  American subspecies Canus canus brachyrhynchus and a second
bird is a Common  Gull, which is the name given to two very similar
European subspecies in the  group C.c. canus/heinei. Yesterday, Kevin
McLaughlin, Dean DiTommaso and I  tentatively identified a Common Gull
where we had previously seen a Mew  Gull. This seemed almost
impossible. Dean and I photographed it and the  three of us noted its
field marks. The Ontario Bird Records Committee will  be sent written
documentation and photos. I've posted several photos on my  website.
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2010/CommonGull.htm

Caveat: All field  marks strongly indicate a Common Gull, however, I
am seeking confirmation  from gull experts who are thoroughly familiar
with Common  Gulls.

Directions: The Common Gull was seen on the river, flying and
perched, between the overlook at Adam Beck and the Butterfly
Conservatory. To view the roosting rocks along the river, which are
on  the American side, park at the north end of the Butterfly
Conservatory  parking lot and walk north towards Adam Beck about 200
metres to two light  coloured horizontal wooden bars in the brown fence.

Jean Iron
Toronto  ON