Yesterday morning (1/30), Dave Wheeler and I checked out the large flock of
 ducks on the Lake Erie side of Bird Island Pier in Buffalo as viewable
from the  West Side Rowing Club parking lot accessed from Porter Ave. Several
thousand mixed Scaup, Redhead, Canvasback, and Goldeneye were crammed  into
the "rips" just off the end of the pier, and while scanning through  these
birds, we spotted an unusual drake Aythya that appeared to be a hybrid
REDHEAD x LESSER SCAUP/RING-NECKED DUCK.  Most obvious was the L. Scaup/RN
Duck-like size and shape (with peaked rear crown) combined with  a Redhead-like
gray mantle and flanks, blue bill with a fairly  wide white subterminal band,
and rufous-tinged maroon head color.   There also appeared to be a small
hint of white "spurs" at the sides of the  breast, perhaps favoring
Ring-necked Duck influence.  In-flight, the  remiges were pale grayish and
paler than
typical for Redhead.  A very  striking individual and a nice bird to see.

There was also a juv. BALD EAGLE in close that put on a bit of a  show
going after the ducks as well as a 1st-cycle ICELAND GULL that was floating  by
in the current.  At least 3 times the Eagle tried to pluck the Iceland  Gull
out of the water, but would back out at the last minute.  It appeared  as
if the Iceland Gull was injured as every time the Eagle came close, the  gull
went into a flapping frenzy but for some reason couldn't lift up out of the
 water.  Eventually the Eagle gave up and sat down on the ice before flying
 off to the south, while I eventually lost view of the Iceland as it
continued to float downriver.

Jim Pawlicki
Amherst, NY