Thursday, Feb. 4, 2010

Barbara Saunders and I went to the Croton railroad station, Croton Pt. Park and the Peekskill area.

Seen from the train station parking lot ca. 8 am were 2 immature Bald Eagles trying to steal a fish from a Great Black Backed Gull (unsuccessfully), and two adults and an immature Bald Eagle in the trees across the inlet. In addition, on return later in the day, there were 2 American Tree Sparrows.

In the water were a pair of Redhead, Common Merganser, Mallard, American Black Duck, Bufflehead, at least 2 male Pintail, pair of Mute Swan, Canada Goose (many), one Ruddy Duck and Gadwall.

At Croton Point Park, there were 3 immature Bald Eagles in the trees along the water, seen from the road through the Camp Ground. Also seen in the park at various places (including the feeders at the visitor's center), Yellow-rumped Warbler, Northern Mockingbird, American Tree Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, House Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, White-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Wren (heard), European Starling and House Finch.

We spent a while up the hill where the Red-headed Woodpecker has been reported and did not find it.

A common bird for the day was American Crow. A bit north of Peekskill was an American Robin, Song Sparrow, Common Mergansers, Bufflehead and a pair of Common Raven soaring together. Also in the Peekskill area, we saw two young Bald Eagles flying, and one adult and one juvenile sitting very far out on the floating ice in the direction of the Bear Mountain Bridge. At Verplanck were 12 Great Cormorant perched on a tall navigation structure in the river.

Ardith Bondi