>From Golden Hill State Park in Niagara County on Sunday, I counted 15
RED-NECKED GREBES, 30 HORNED GREBES, 11 RED-THROATED LOONS, and one COMMON
LOON.  Betsy and I took a drive through the eastern part of the swamps (Oak
Orchard WMA) but did not see any geese.  All ponds were frozen and there was
no open water in fields.  Ditches and streams were open.  The only bird of
note was our first-of-season TURKEY VULTURE.

Needing to see SOME birds, we headed to the Niagara River.  The waterfowl
was reduced substantially from a month ago (25 to 50% of what had been
there) but of course, for that area, it is still a LOT of ducks.  We saw
ZERO swans along the Ontario side where there had been a few hundred last
month.  Although we had a good variety of ducks, there was nothing different
from what has been there.  We ended with a stop on Dietz Road in the Town of
Porter, where I digiscoped an EASTERN SCREECH OWL sitting in a snag.  You
can see a photo on Betsy's web site (address below).  Click on "Willie's
Photos", then on "Recent Photos".

Also, for anyone interested, Betsy and I posted photos from our February
Arizona trip, where we had some great birds and great scenery.  Again, click
on "Willie's Photos", then on "Arizona Trip".

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter