Joe Giunta, Sam Jannazzo, Pat Jones and I (Sy Schiff) met at Hempstead Lake SP
where we had the first promising spring activity on a beautiful day highlighted
by a fly-over PURPLE MARTIN and WORM-EATING WARBLER.

We then went to the water hole at Forest Park. Spring had arrived with a
diversity of species although overall numbers are still small. New migrants
were varied and including ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK and LINCOLN'S SPARROW. There
were 16 species of warbler (17 for the day) including BLUE-WINGED, NASHVILLE,
BLACK-AND WHITE, an early MAGNOLIA, BLACK-THROATED BLUE AND GREEN WARBLERS and
both WATERTHRUSHES.

We detoured slightly on the way home, stopping by Jamaica Bay WR. We did not
find the White-faced Ibis today, but did see GLOSSY IBIS, both EGRETS,
LITTLE-BLUE and TRICOLORED HERONS and YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON. Shorebirds
seen were AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, WILLET and GREATER YELLOWLEGS. FORSTER'S
TERNS were feeding in the channel. When leaving the refuge, a pair of TURKEY
VULTURES flew over.

Total species 79

Sy