Memorial Day evening I paid a visit to Edgewood Preserve (DEC) in Commack hoping to hear Whip-poor-wills, as I had last year. But by nearly 9:00pm I'd heard only other locally nesting species settling in to roost. Then, as I stood quietly just off the pavement of Old Commack Road (southern end) listening intently, a dark shape fluttered by no more than 5-6 ft. away, flashing white in it's tail. It emitted a soft "whup" as it went by. I looked down the road and spotted a dark shape on the pavement about 10 yards away. When I shone my flashlight on the shape it flew up and disappeared into the darkness giving that same soft call a few times. That scenario played out one more time before the bird gave me the slip for good. I never saw red eyeshine from the "Whip" when it was in the flashlight beam, presumably because it was facing away from me both times. This was only the second time I've had a visual encounter with this species, the first a brief but also close flyby (in the dwarf pine barrens near Gabreskie Airport). After that visual exciting opening act I expected the vocal performances to begin in earnest. But I only heard two short, distant bouts of singing before I lefty at 9:20.