There was a nice morning flight at Robert Moses SP, Suffolk Co., yesterday
morning (28 Aug 10).

Swallows were moving heavily, passing at a rate of ca. one per second through
the morning. Barns outnumbered Trees by about four to three, Banks were easy to
find (we estimated ca. 50),  and we noted two Cliff Swallows. We did not see a
single Rough-wing, underscoring the scarcity of this species on the outer beach.

Many species were noted migrating, including a Great Blue Heron, three Merlins,
an American Kestrel, and many passerines.  Among ten species of warblers, the
most numerous were Yellow (15), Common Yellowthroat (15), Northern Waterthrush
(9), and Am. Redstart (6); the most notable were single Blue-winged and Cape
May (the former always very scarce on the outer beach).

As noted by many observers lately, Red-breasted Nuthatches seem to be mounting
a good flight this year (we noted 5). A single Purple Finch was only mildly
surprising, as this species often appears on the coast in small numbers around
Labor Day, a month or more ahead of the main flight.

As with the spring flight of 15 May, it is interesting to compare our morning
with Rob Jett's data from Prospect Park. The two Veeries we recorded at RMSP
were two more than one usually finds on the barrier beach and, together with
Rob's big inland count, are evidence of a significant push of Neotropicals
Friday night.

We also noted an mass-emergence of ants, attended by feasting Laughing Gulls.
These events probably occur every year, and I know Tony Lauro wrote an article
on the topic many years ago. Here is a link to a photo of an ant from a similar
event last year:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tixbirdz/CrittersAndOthersFunctAndNotSo#5380791796728136466

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore

Think green before you print this email.