The migrant flight at Heckscher State Park (Suffolk Co.) this morning (7-11)
was only fair, with Robins making up the bulk of the birds passing overhead
between 7:00 and 8:00. Later, Tree Swallows took over as the most numerous
species. Other passerines detected by call and/or seen after they dropped
into cover included one small flock of BOBOLINKS (flyovers, heard only),
Yellow-rumped and Palm warblers, and an Indigo Bunting. Some sparrows had
arrived also, including 3 juvenile WHITE-CROWNED. The wet areas in parking
lot #7 held only a handful of shorebirds--5 Killdeer, 1 Semipalmated Plover,
2 Semipalmated Sandpipers, and 1 Dunlin. 3 Greater Yellowlegs were seen
flying out of the interior marsh across the park road from the lot. On the
beach in front of the Field #8 pavilion were 39 Black-bellied Plovers and
2 Sanderlings.

But the highlight of the morning, while also a migrant, was not a passerine
or shorebird, but a SHORT-EARED OWL. I accidentally flushed the bird from
its roost in the tall grass of the pine savannah-type habitat between
parking lots 7 & 8. It was no more than 25 feet away when I first caught
sight of it, already airborne and moving away. It circled around and flew
east, where, about halfway across lot #8, it was beset by a juvenile male
Cooper's Hawk that I'd seen not too much earlier. The Coop dogged the the
owl for 5-10 seconds before I lost sight of both. The owl reappeared shortly
thereafter though, and was visible intermittently for another 1-2 minutes
coursing over the grassy/scrubby area east of lot #8 before finally moving
out of sight. The earlier sighting of the aforementioned Cooper's Hawk
involved it landing in a tree already occupied by 2 crows. The hawk perched
for ~30 seconds, no more than 3-4 away from the corvids, which quite
uncharacteristically ignored the raptor.