Alice Deutsch and I (Ardith Bondi) birded Central Park from the southern end of the Reservoir south this morning. Of note were the inordinate numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers. I saw this at Jones Beach last weekend, and I just spoke with someone who lives in Sea Cliff, LI, who had the same experience there this morning.

Another phenomenon of note was at 8:10 AM, a flock of 7 Turkey Vultures flew tidily together overhead moving north.

Turkey Vulture (7 flying by, not too high, either)
Canada Goose
Wood Duck (1 m on Lake)
Gadwall (Turtle Pond)
Mallard (lots)
Northern Shoveler  (a few on the Reservoir)
Ruddy Duck (significant flocks starting on the Reservoir)
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch (several)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird (only 2)
European Starling
Black-throated Blue Warbler (1 f at the Point)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (ubiquitous!!)
Palm Warbler (Pinetum)
Eastern Towhee (Tanner)
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow (Tupelo)
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow (Tupelo)
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
Purple Finch (1 f with all the Am. Robins by Sparrow Ridge)
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

As a side note, on the way south, we stopped at the Central Park Zoo to see the 4 King Penguins that they added to the Penguin House this year. They have also added a couple of American Oystercatchers, a Black-crowned Night Heron and a young Great Black-backed Gull to the penguin enclosure. The Tufted Puffins have gained some impressive Spectacled Eiders as well as some pretty Harlequin Ducks. Interesting combinations - certainly colorful.

Ardith Bondi