We birded the barrier strip from Jones Beach S.P., Nassau Co. to Captree
S.P., Suffolk Co. today and did pretty well with the uncommon birds found
there this past week.

We saw the Common Ground-Dove in two locations at Captree, once along the
road to the south parking lot that overlooks the inlet, and once on the
grass near the green buoy by the entry toll booths.  We did not find the
previously reported Western Kingbird, but we were told it had been reported
early in the morning.  Along the north side of the easternmost parking lot
(where the ground-dove has also been seen) we found an immature
White-crowned Sparrow feeding with the White-throated Sparrows.

At Jones Beach, along with many other birders, we saw the Lark Sparrow on
the north side of the employee parking lot west of Parking Field 6.  Also at
Jones Beach we saw the Northern Shrike perched on the east side of the
boardwalk at the Roosevelt Nature Center at about 11:15 am.  We did not find
the Marbled Godwit at the Coast Guard station, but Tom Burke told us he had
seen it there early in the morning.

Joe DiCostanzo

Ann Shaw