A strong gusty, west wind and winter-like temperatures made for tough
birding, but a few some nice birds were present at both Jones Beach and
Point Lookout. At the former, up to 3 LITTLE GULLS were seen out on the bay
north of the Coast Guard station (I didn't arrive early enough and saw only
one). The month-long stay of the NORTHERN SHRIKE continues at the TR Nature
Center. After staking out the boardwalk for ~30 minutes with no sign of the
bird, I decided to walk the perimeter of a nearby bird nesting area (one of
2 reclaimed parking lots). Along the eastern edge of that field, up near
the park road, the Shrike flew up from the ground and landed on a stalk of
mullein. It proceeded to hunt around the immediate area for the next 15
minutes or so, allowing plenty of opportunity for capturing digiscoped
images. (4 can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/).

Over at Point Lookout, I used Firemen's Park as my vantage point to scope
Jone's Inlet. At the north end of the park (beyond the ball fields), ~200
Bonaparte's Gulls had gathered off the beach where dense mats of sea lettuce
had built up along the shoreline. Among these birds were another Little Gull
(first-winter) and 1 BLACK-HEADED GULL (photo at link above). A second
Little Gull, this one an adult, was seen out toward the middle of the inlet,
as were a trio of HARLEQUIN DUCKS (1 male, 2 females), these seen only
briefly and elusive thereafter (admittedly, I was concentrating on gulls).