I stood around the Maintenance restroom area for more than two hours yesterday (I just returned from Antarctica, so I guess the weather seemed routine) and did not see the Varied Thrush. Nor had any of the other birders who came by and had been looking for it. There was a Cooper's Hawk hanging around that wizzed by me when I first got there at 10:35, and returned regularly. By the time I left, the hawk had been posing comfortably at eye level for its portrait in the Maintenance Meadow for at least 20 minutes. There were, however, other birds which came into the area east of the restrooms when the hawk wasn't around, including two Eastern Towhees, White-breasted Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse, Northern Flicker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, loads of Blue Jays and White-throated Sparrows.

As Jack Meyer suggested to me, I also checked across the transverse, but didn't find the thrush there, either. This, of course, doesn't mean it's gone, just that we didn't see it.

Ardith Bondi