Hey NY Birders

This morning Angus Wilson and I made our way to EPCAL in Calverton where at
8:45am the LE CONTE'S SPARROW poked its head out of same cedar tree where it
was last seen yesterday afternoon. Despite being flushed by at least two
people who ventured out to the tree, it returned to the same tree later.
Mike Cooper found the LARK SPARROW at the southwest corner of McKay's Pond,
from which it subsequently flew west along Grumman Blvd with a flock of
Dark-eyed Juncos. Also seen at EPCAL were a light-morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, 1
AMERICAN KESTREL, 4 Turkey Vulture, 2 Eastern Meadowlark & 2 Snow Bunting.

Along Dune Road at Shinnecock Bay we found 9 SEASIDE SPARROWS (but no
Sharp-tails), a first year ICELAND GULL in the Ponquogue Beach parking lot,
200+ Common Eider and 10 BUFF-BELLIED (American) PIPITS.

We then ventured to the Southampton Ponds. There were 43 CANVASBACK at
Halsey Neck Pond. Cooper"s Neck Pond held 18 REDHEAD and 29 Ring-necked
Duck, but we could not find the previously reported Eurasian Wigeon. Lake
Agawam had an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL and 75 Northern Shoveler.

Late this afternoon I found a MERLIN at Poxabogue Pond.

Good Birding to All

Hugh

--
Hugh McGuinness