Yesterday, ( Saturday) I went to Swan Lake, East of Patchogue, off Montauk
Highway to check on the Ducks. There is always a good assortment there, as
the  pond does not usually freeze over, and it is quite shallow, and Lake
Road runs  along the East Side of the pond with space to park and check them
out,  especially in the morning with the sun on your back. ( For those who
are not  familiar with this favorite place.)

I was lucky to see two Trumpeter Swans at the North end, a Red Head Duck at
 the south end, many other more common species of ducks ..black,
mallard,ring-necked,ruddys,gadwalls (many up close), american widgeons,,lesser
scaup
and greater scaup, northern shovelers, hooded mergansers, buffleheads,
coots, great blue heron, and mute swans. And domestic ducks and some odd  black
and white ducks that were the "products of a mixed marriage". No  wood
ducks. No pied-billed grebes either.

Andy Murphy