Jamaica Bay Wildlife refuge 3 Mar

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) started on the West Pond where we found all 3
species of Merganser in the pond (nice) in addition to a the usual puddle
ducks. On the far side the "Common" Teal was actively feeding  with a group of
Green-winged Teal. No evidence that it might be a hybrid.   In the channel, we
found a mere  3 Common Goldeneye and a smattering of Bufflehead, but NO
Barrow's.

On the East Pond, there were about 100 ducks consisting of Lesser and Greater
Scaup, Ruddy Ducks and single Northern Pintail and American Wigeon. There were
2 Barn Owls in the nest box.

Our take on the SNOW GEESE-- While on the west pond, there was a continuous
movement of birds from our left towards the pond moving in groups of 2-10 at a
time. Estimate about 100 total.  In the marshes adjacent to he trail, to our
left, at the north end, were an estimated 500 additional.  We scoped till we
found a Blue Goose. There could have been more, but we deferred to the weather
and the predicted 10-12 degree wind chill.  It felt it.  Arctic birding is cool
(or is that cold).

The weather kept the small birds away. We heard one singing Carolina Wren by
Big John's Pond, singing Red-winged Blackbirds and a few fly-by Crows.
Absolutely nothing else to see or hear..

Sy