In addition to the Eastern Bluebirds noted by Jeff Ritter and Steve Walter,
two males were present at the Jones Beach (West End) Coast Guard
station Saturday morning. Migrant Northern Flickers and Tree Swallows (ca.
20) were also evident. At Point Lookout, the 8 Harlequin Ducks (4
adult-plumaged males, 4 females) linger, but I saw only 2 Horned Grebes and
no ducks; it looks as if there has been a major exodus of wintering
waterfowl. One Piping Plover and ca. 14 American Oystercatchers were on or
near the jetties.

At Hempstead Lake State Park,, 1 Brown Creeper, 2 Golden-crowned Kinglets,
and a basic-plumaged Yellow-rumped Warbler.

The strong wind at Jamaica Bay made  birding difficult, and the
extraordinarily low tide in mid-afternoon (a lower spring tide than I recall
ever seeing there) kept waterfowl mostly very distant. 17 "Blue" geese
constituted 0.71%.of the approximately 1,960 Snow Geese (counted off in 5's)
resting on the sand bar at the end of Terrapin Trail. The numbers of Greater
Scaup on the West Pond look to have dropped by about half since last week.
Great numbers of Ruddy Ducks, certainly well over 500, were on the East
Pond.

Doug Futuyma
Stony Brook, NY