Barb Saunders and I (Ardith Bondi) started at Nickerson Beach (Nick) this morning, where we found 4 pairs of Oystercatchers, one actively mating and at least 2 pairs of Piping Plovers with one extra alone (at least when we saw it).

When we reached the jetty at West End 2 (WE2), there was another mating pair of Oystercatchers and, along the beach, another pair of Piping Plovers.

Birds seen today:

Common Loon (WE2 jetty)
Horned Grebe (Nick)
Northern Gannet (offshore, both places)
Great Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Canada Goose
Brant (still many around)
Mute Swan (pond seen from Meadowbrook Parkway on the way up from the beach)
Common Eider (1 female by WE2 jetty)
Black Scoter (8, WE2)
Red-breasted Merganser (widespread)
Osprey (near Point Lookout exit from Meadowbrook)
Red-tailed Hawk
Peregrine Falcon (eating prey on Jones Beach water tower)
Piping Plover (Nick & WE2)
American Oystercatcher (Nick & WE2)
Dunlin (1 individual near WE2 jetty)
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Northern Flicker (WE)
American Crow
Horned Lark (1 bird, Nick)
Tree Swallow (WE)
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird (Nick & Jones Beach)
European Starling
American Tree Sparrow (median near Coast Guard Station)
Song Sparrow (WE, Coast Guard Station)
Red-winged Blackbird (mixed flocks of blackbirds at WE median)
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Sparrow
one seal sp. seen from the WE2 jetty