Dear Andrew,

Thank you for asking about this. You are absolutely right, the 2009 NYSARC
Annual Report <http://www.nybirds.org/NYSARC/Reports/NYSARC2009.html>
included two sight records of Northern Fulmar seen from beaches on eastern
Long Island by yours truly during September and October storms. As many
readers will know, Northern Fulmar is only rarely sighted from land in our
region, generally favoring deeper water, although even there, they seem less
frequent than in the past. Fulmars are notoriously fond of discarded
by-catch and other fish products and the collapse of the commercial fishing
industry locally parallels the decline in fulmar numbers. Recognizing this
potential change in status, the Committee was willing to review these
land-based sightings.

This brings up an important point about the NYSARC Review List <
http://www.nybirds.org/NYSARC/NYSARClist.htm>, namely that it is offered as
a set of guidelines rather than as hard and fast rules. The large and
diverse nature of New York State makes it very difficult to design
impervious criteria for what is deemed very rare (i.e. review worthy) and
what is considered slightly less rare. The cut of point more about the
practical limits to the review process than anything else. Moreover, the
status of many uncommon species is in continuous flux, hence we find
ourselves needing to tweak the list every now and again, much to the
annoyance of the web master, checklist authors and many diligent birders who
regularly submit descriptions or photographs. For these reasons, the
Committee is somewhat flexible in what to review or not. Reports that are
not reviewed are archived nonetheless. When submitting a sighting that does
not quite fit the Review List criteria, please include a note explaining why
you think review is warranted just to make sure that we consider it
appropriately.

If you have any questions as to whether documentation of a sighting should
be submitted please don't hesitate to ask.

I believe there were at least two Fulmar sightings from fall of 2007, one
from Robert Moses State Park (18 Oct) and the other from Jamaica Bay (9 Nov,
Andrew Block), both involving birds in distress. Reports documenting these
unusual events would be most welcome.

Angus Wilson
Chair, New York State Avian Records Committee (NYSARC)
***NYSARC is a standing committee of the New York State Ornithological
Association***