Bulletin board postings are naturally slanted to positive news and don't do
such a good job recording disappearances, either of particular individuals
(is the Hooded Crow still being seen?) or of populations. The recent
discovery of two Henslow's Sparrows in a field near Ames (Montgomery Co.)
got me thinking: are these are the only sightings for New York State this
season?

Looking at eBird (a better resource for this type of question) says no, but
only just. Evidently, small numbers (the entries are for 1 bird each) are
still present in Fort Drum and the nearby Perch River WMA (Jefferson Co.)
and a little to the north in St. Lawrence County. But according to eBird,
that's it. I suspect official surveys will have come up with a few more at
these sites but still.

Have other traditional breeding sites in western and central NYS been
checked and found negative? Is total extirpation as a breeding species
imminent? At what point should Henslow's Sparrow be added to the NYSARC
review list? Heady questions. It would give me peace of mind to know if
other breeding sites still exist. Precise locations are not necessary, just
enough to know whether or not the breeding population in now confined to a
relatively small area in the St. Lawrence Transition.

Unfortunately I don't have the *The Second Atlas of Breeding Birds in New
York State* (McGowan and Corwin 2008) at hand but I am sure this
indispensable resource for state birds has much to say on this troubling
topic. In 1999, the DEC reclassified the sparrow as Threatened (from Species
of Special Concern) but my sense is that the decline has continued
unchecked.

--
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA