Although we didn't keep track of numbers, Carole Berglie and I (Ardith Bondi), arriving at about 1PM, saw quite a few of the smaller shorebirds on the Jones Beach CGS sandbar, despite swimmers and boaters. They included Semipalmated Plovers, Semipalmated Sandpipers and Sanderlings. We also saw Black-bellied Plovers, Short-billed Dowitchers (at least 2), Ruddy Turnstones and at least one Willet. Down the fishermans' trail past the Coast Guard station, aside from some rather vocal juvenile Common Terns and some Ruddy Turnstones, we spotted a Spotted Sandpiper.

Does anyone else think there is an inordinately large number of Semi-palmated Plovers and Semi-palmated Sandpipers this year? Over the past two weeks, I have seen very large numbers of them. In the Nickerson Beach Parking lot and on the lawn there there were probably 1000. A few days later, they virtually carpeted the beach at Long Beach Island, NJ early in the morning before the beachgoers took over, and today, there were still quite a few at the Coast Guard Station sandbar.

Ardith Bondi