Nickerson Beach, Nassau Co, NY 31 Aug.

About 7:30 this morning, while I was surveying the beach, a tern came out of
the morning sun flying down the middle of the beach and almost directly
overhead. It looked a bit different and I followed with my bins until it landed
in one of the numerous puddles near the upper beach.  As I put my scope on
where it landed behind a group of resting birds. It took off almost
immediately; but I got excellent looks of both the upper and lower plumages as
it wheeled in the air before it continued west down the beach

Follow up at home and a lot of research convinced me that my first impression
of BRIDLED TERN was correct. This sighting is of interest because of the number
of days after the hurricane. Could this be one of the birds reported in New
England?

Sy Schiff